Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Smoothest Double Edge Shave Thus Far

Well, in my quest to turn some every-day tasks into simple pleasures, I've been studying the art of the wet shave. To help educate myself, I've been spending some leisure time at the Badger & Blade forum.

To transition from twin blade disposables to old-fashioned double edge and single-edge safety razors, I started using the inexpensive Bic Sensitive single-edge disposables. I ordered some quality shave creams (Proraso and Musgo Real), picked up a puck of VDH shaving soap and pulled out from "storage" my old shaving mug (coffee mug) and boar hair shaving brush. I also bought some Aqua Velva Classic aftershave. Using a few pre-shave and post-shave techniques I learned on Badger & Blade, I experienced some of the closest and most enjoyable shaves in my shaving history.

I planned to order a Merkur Classic double edge razor in a few months. I still may but just last Saturday I stopped by an antique shop looking for a vintage Gillette double edge (DE) razor. $6.40 later, I walked out with a Gillette DE and three single edge (SE) razors--a 1912 Ever-Ready, Gem Micromatic, and a Gem with an ivory-colored handle!

Well, after three shaves with the Gillette, loaded with a Red Personna blade, I've experienced my closest DE shave to date. But, it took some tweaking. Here was my routine:
  • Pre-Shave: Washed face with Grandpa's Wonder Pine Tar Soap; splashed with hot water; applied Proraso with brush after lathering in a bowl; held hot, wet wash cloth over lathered face for 30 seconds or so.
  • Shave: First pass with the grain; rinsed with hot water; lathered; held hot, wet wash cloth over face again; second pass against the grain.
  • Post-Shave: Rinsed with warm water; rinsed with cold water; patted dry; splashed with Swan Witch Hazel; let air while I cleaned up my shaving tools; applied Aqua Velva Classic aftershave.

This is the first time I've had virtually no razor burn on my neck!

Now, I'm looking forward to trying one of my single edge razors loaded with a Gem single edge blade!

1 comment:

Double Edge razor said...



Hi – It’s good to read such interesting stuff on
the Internet as I have been able to discover here.
I agree with much of what is written here and I’ll be
coming back to this website again. Thanks again for posting such
great reading material!!